My Verizon modem stopped being auto-recognized in Ubuntu right when I needed it the most. I didn't know that I could have just done an eject /dev/sr1 and it would have started working.
After I got back to my office, I surfed around a bit and it looks like the ID_SERIAL changed or something.
It used to be
For whatever reason, now it is
Whatever. So I changed the udev rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
btw, I found out what the available udev variables were by using the udev tools, see below.
tarupp@tonelico:~$ udevadm monitor
then plug in your device and a bunch of crap will pop up. The first entry was the relevant one
tarupp@tonelico:~$ udevadm info --query property --path=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1
You may need to restart udev if you modify that text file
sudo service udev restart